Saturday, July 30, 2011

Some things remain the same ...


... like my love for daisies.
I think they're beautiful.
Simple.  Lovely.

Yesterday was awesome!
I felt pampered and spoiled.
Relaxed.  Very relaxed.
I-just-want-to-nap-kinda-relaxed.

So, when I got home last night,
I decided to turn off my phone,
and just read.

No, I didn't work. 
I read through old emails between my cousin and I.
She lives in a different country, so we write.
A lot.  And so, I read emails from 2006.
I was being nostalgic. 
Like I said, birthdays do that to me.
And wow!  I was surprised how things have changed.
I have changed.  A lot.
I'm happy.

I guess, what hit me most was how my heart wasn't
broken anymore.  As I read words I wrote about
someone I loved and lost, I didn't feel anything.
Not longing, not missing, nothing.
And it wasn't the I-don't-want-to-feel-anything-for-him feeling.
I really felt nothing.  Not a pinch in my heart.
I didn't become overwhelmed with nostalgia about him and us anymore.
There was no reflecting.  Nothing.  The words I read
about love, loss and regrets became just words.
And, I really don't know when all of the feelings stopped.
But they did.

Over dessert, my dear, best friend said to me,
I think all of the broken hearts and disappointments
were meant to prepare you for something greater.
I've seen you love and give it your all.
You will do that again.

And the thing I realized last night,
is that things do change.  We change.
But in the midst of change, some things remain the same.
The people I laughed and cried with five years ago,
ten years ago, even twenty years ago,
are still the same people I laugh and cry with now.
And I know that we'll continue to laugh and cry together
until we can no longer stand straight.

Some things remain the same. 
No matter how life has changed us.
And as much I welcome and embrace change,
I also embrace those things that remain the same.

I also know now, that our ability to love
never dies.  It may go in hiding for awhile.
But it'll always be there.

Because broken hearts have the ability to heal.
Our hearts do get restored.
Put back to pieces.
And we can love again.

Today, I celebrate new beginnings.
And an amazing year ahead.

Photo: Kiwi GaL

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...