Saturday, January 31, 2015

A taste of Italy in L.A.

I've lived in L.A. for most of my life, but there are so many places I'm yet to see and experience. So, after my "realization" (not-so-long-ago) that I'm not moving anytime (soon), I made it as one of my goals to explore this place that I call home. One of the places that I've been wanting to explore is the Venice Canals Walkway. This morning, I finally did it. And it didn't disappoint. 










As you can see from the photographs, the place was just serene and beautiful. A hidden gem, less than a mile away from the busy Venice Beach boardwalk. Although the canals did make me a bit nostalgic for Italy, it actually reminded me a lot more of Amsterdam. I hope that doesn't disappoint those who long to visit this beautiful place. Or, I hope that doesn't disappoint the memory of the late-Abbott Kinney, who developed this canal walkway more than one hundred years ago because he wanted to bring a taste of Venice, Italy to Southern California. I think that idea was genius, and from reading reviews of the place, many tourists and locals think so, too. I believe every big, busy city needs an oasis like this place. Somewhere you can escape to for a little while. 

So, if you're ever in the area, check it out. Grab a tea or coffee to go, and take a stroll down the walkways, over the various bridges, and dream about how it is to live in one of the many million-dollar homes that line the canals. They are quite dreamy!


NOTE: Since parking is always a concern in L.A., don't worry because there appears to be a lot of places to park around the area. You can either park in a lot on North Venice Boulevard or if you get there early in the morning, you'll most likely find street parking on one of the smaller streets.

4 comments :

  1. Definitely a nice little oasis! I've never been to Amsterdam, but it really does remind me of Venice, just sunnier, ya know? It also kind of remind me of the oasis of a resort if that makes sense. Look enchanting. Must visit it if (when!) I make it out to California :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing, and definitely like nothing I would expect to see in LA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I've lived here all my life and I think that, too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...