Thursday, October 9, 2014

In the moment: new fall stories

NYC October 2012
As I walked out into my living room this morning, I was greeted with the smell of fall. I had left the window open the night before, allowing the crisp air and a cool breeze to enter and settle into the room. The sky looked gray but that feeling of newness that fall brings, that feeling I had been longing for, finally arrived.

I'm a summer baby, born at the end of July, but fall is my season. It is when I come alive. When the leaves change colors, a sense of urgency to start anew emerges inside of me, and suddenly I, too, want a change.

This year has been rough. Financially. For the first half, I was discouraged, confused, and lost about where I wanted to go with my career. I questioned whether all the choices I had made up to this point were wrong.

The start of summer kicked me in the butt with barely any work coming in, which meant no money in the pipeline. At the same time, I had all of these pre-planned trips (of course, made before the work/money slump). July came and I was a stress-case. I thought it would be really irresponsible if I went on all of those trips when I didn't know when paychecks would start coming in again. I fretted, contemplated, then declared war against my calculator. It was telling me not to go, and I so wanted to go.

I went.

But, not without giving it a lot of thought. And not without a financial plan to ensure I didn't end up homeless by September. So, I wasn't completely irresponsible.

Then, what I did was I took the work slump and turned it into an opportunity to re-evaluate my career. Time that I didn't have much of before to take a close look at my mistakes and map out what I needed to do to make some needed changes. Since I had several trips planned out, it was also an opportunity to vacation without the burden of deadlines hanging over me. I got to immerse myself in the experience of wine tasting in Napa, learning the culture of New Orleans, and hiking in Zion.

What could have been a bad summer turned into a really good one with just a little change in perspective. Instead of telling a story of failure and stress, I get to tell the story of the summer I moved out of my comfort zone and had an amazing time.

Now, it's fall, the earth's open invitation for change and new beginnings. A perfect time to start another story. And I'm ready for one. At this point I'm not quite sure yet what the plot or theme will be, but I know it involves my career and writing moving into another direction. The details are still in its preliminary draft, but at least I'm writing it. And that's a start.
  

7 comments :

  1. I love your writing style. Could be that I'm similar in that I love fall. It's raining here and I have the window open so I can smell it. The topic of this post makes the reader ( or at least me) also wonder about our path of life. There's our jobs, and then there's life, and people get the two confused so much. I'm also part of the Jeff Goins Blog with Intention challenge. I love it, especially because it's caused me to find so many blogs I never would have otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We don't get the dramatic seasonal changes where I'm at (L.A.), and in fact, the weather lately has been hotter than usual making it seem like summer is never going to end, but in the early, early morning, we get this glimpse, small hint of fall, and it's wonderful. I savor those few hours. I've taken a short break from the blogging challenges (work duty calls), but I do love it, too. Not only is it teaching me to be more intentional in my writing but it has introduced me to a great community of writers (bloggers) that I would not have otherwise known. By the way, how are you doing with the daily "assignments"? I hope to make up the ones I missed because I do think they are great exercises.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you are writing! And, that's not just a start, but a brave start. Thank you for sharing your beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for stopping by and taking the time to visit this blog space of mine! :)

      Delete
  3. I love Fall - Autumn in my world - too. I'm a winter baby and actually I love the change of all the seasons - I think each in its own way is wonderful. When my Kiwi man and I first talked about coming to live in New Zealand my first question was "Are there seasons?" Might sound dumb but in the Northern Hemisphere people tend to think downunder is sunshine all the way. It is pretty much like that for 7 or 8 months of the year but I love the others too - being from Ireland I'd wither without rain. I really like your blog - I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog!

      I live in L.A. so the season changes are subtle. Lately, it has been very slow as we've been having heatwaves and it's already October! But, in the early, early mornings, I catch a glimpse of fall and it gives me something to look forward to. By the way, you live and lived in the two places I've been wanting to visit. Ireland has been on my bucket list for years and New Zealand just looks absolutely beautiful!

      Delete
  4. HI Mae - the two countries are actually quite similar in ways. Same population size, same demographics, even the same type of people - except the Irish are funnier and the weather is way worse. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...