Monday, October 6, 2014

Paying attention to now: my brushing teeth exercise

If you're anything like me, your mind will probably start to wander off after this sentence. Maybe you have the television on and the commercial for the new season of American Horror Story came on. You can't help but look up just as the two-headed woman appears on the screen. You wonder what her story line will be although you have never seen an episode of American Horror Story before, and you don't have any intention of watching the new season so you'll never find out. This new season seems to be about the circus and you start thinking about how the circus is freaky and how clowns are scarier than that doll Annabelle. You have no intention of watching Annabelle either. Although you don't want to admit it, dolls have frightened you your entire life, so you wonder why you're even thinking about them right now. Then you remember that you were reading a blog post, so your eyes return to the computer screen.

Our minds constantly wander. True or false?

For me, it's true and false. When I am working, researching some legal issue or writing a brief, my mind becomes so focused on what I'm doing that I forget to eat or drink until my stomach starts complaining from starvation and my head starts pounding from dehydration. There had been many occasions when I've been so fixated on what I was working on that I didn't even notice the secretary enter my office and drop off mail on my desk.

But, again, I've also been equally guilty of doing something while thinking about ten million other things except what I was doing. As I mentioned before, I do a lot of story or blog crafting in my car while I'm stuck in traffic. I'm usually thinking about my to-do list for the day's work while I'm making the bed, packing my lunch, and throwing out the trash. Sometimes, I get in my car and forget whether I turned off the stove or the lights or even locked the door because while doing those things I was contemplating about whether I should take the 405 to the office or a different route. Many times my mind is 3 steps or 5 hours ahead, and after awhile, that takes its toll.

So, a few months ago, I took a series of mindfulness classes based on the book Mindfulness, An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Mark Williams and Danny Penmann. The book came with eight mindful meditations that we practiced during the weekly hour session. Then, during the rest of the week, we had meditation homework to help us continue with the practice.  

One morning, after three weeks into the meditation exercises, while applying mascara on I heard a soft rustling sound. At first I didn't know what it was. I stopped what I was doing so I can listen more closely. When I didn't hear the sound again, I continued to apply mascara. The rustling sound became louder. That was when I realized the sound was the mascara brush stroking my lashes. It was a sound I had never heard before. It made me giddy with excitement I started laughing. I realized, then, that when you pay attention to the mundane tasks, you may hear, see, smell, feel and experience them in a completely new and different way, making them rather extraordinary.

Now, I'm by no means an expert on mindfulness. My mind is still constantly racing through one thought after another. I don't always hear the mascara brush stroking my lashes. On most days, I don't even remember putting on mascara.

But, when I start feeling burnt out, when my brain starts feeling like it's going to explode, I try to slow it down by paying attention to the now. If in my car, I read the license plates of the cars in front of me. I pay attention to the color and model of the car, and whether there appears to be one or more occupants inside. While washing the dishes, I pay attention to the water running through my hands, the sensation of the wet and slippery glass on my fingers. While making the bed, I pay attention to the wrinkles on the sheets and the sound of the cotton as I straighten them out with my hands. But, the best mindfulness exercise I give myself is while I'm brushing my teeth. There are so many senses going on at once and I practice paying attention to each one by acknowledging them: the sound of the electric toothbrush and the sight of the foam that builds up as I move the brush up and down, side to side; the feel of the spinning brushes against my teeth; the minty smell and taste of the toothpaste, and the cold sensation it leaves in my mouth. This two-minute exercise of mindfulness while brushing my teeth helps me become present and I've found that on the mornings that I do it, my brain feels more organized and rejuvenated.

What do you do to practice mindfulness? 

4 comments :

  1. This is great! I remember years ago learning something similar. I also have realized that we don't really "multi-task," but rather "switch tasks." Instead of being more efficient and productive like we intend to be, we end up wasting valuable time. Looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! When I multi-task I don't really feel like I accomplished anything. I just feel exhausted!

      Delete
  2. Wow. This is a beautiful post. As you described the mindfulness you practice with everyday tasks, I began to be more mindful. I concentrated on your words. I saw the actions happening. I heard my breathing and felt the rise and fall of my chest. I blinked rapidly as I felt tears pricking up at the back of my eyes. All of it really moved me.

    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, thank you for visiting and reading my posts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...