Wednesday, October 15, 2014

5 reasons not to give up on L.A.

I've had a love and hate relationship with Los Angeles (L.A.) for a very long time. Since high school (which was a long, long time ago), I've been dreaming about leaving her (she's a female, by the way).

First, it was go to college in Virginia, Connecticut or New York. I had spent a summer in Virginia and was convinced the east coast was where I belonged. But, when it came to applying for colleges I never applied to any schools in those places. I went to college in L.A.

Then, it was go to grad school, get an MFA, in New York. I went to law school instead. Again, in Los Angeles.

After I passed the California bar exam, the plan was to take the New York bar or Pennsylvania's (because I heard they had reciprocity with more states), so I can finally move to the east coast, where I wanted to raise my children. I never took another bar exam again. I don't have children. I still live in Los Angeles.

I couldn't leave. I never made an attempt to leave even if it was for a short while: college for four years, law school for three. The longest I'd been away from L.A. since I became a financially independent adult was the month I spent in Europe after taking the bar exam. Yet, this churning desire to live elsewhere consumed me, especially during the days I'd commute to the office. While I marinaded in frustration in my car during an hour and a half long commute on the 405 freeway (to travel less than 25 miles, I should mention), I'd berate myself for not being a risk taker, a go-getter, aggressive and all the other things that I think people who move away are.

Then, after hearing news reports after new reports about the polar vortex last winter, I thought that maybe I should try to fall in love with L.A. because I don't do too well with extremely cold weather. Low 50s is cold enough for me. I'm happy with low 50s. And it was decided, I'm never going to move.

But, how do you fall in love with a place when you already know all its flaws and have been so turned off by it?

First, I decided to let go of the past and the idea that there is some place better out there that I can call home. I made a conscious effort to look past the endless freeways filled with angry commuters and seek out the good things L.A. has to offer. I learned quite a few things and got to see new places. The best part is that I was reminded of why I shouldn't give up on L.A., why it's worth staying (aside from my family and friends - I can finally take the burden off of them):

(1) L.A. is known for its cars - the wrath of its jammed freeways. In fact, traffic is a common word in any conversation (social, business) with anyone (boss, security guard, stranger in Starbucks) you come across to in L.A. It's a part of our vocabulary. Sometimes Oftentimes, it's the first thing that we talk about. It has become the perfect, and acceptable, excuse for being late. Just blame it on traffic. However, L.A. does have a subway system, and one day, I decided to take it to downtown L.A. rather than cursing with all the other 101 commuters. I found it was quite easy and it took me from North Hollywood to downtown Civic Center in half an hour. An extra perk is that the North Hollywood station is actually quite beautiful with artwork that tourists (and non-tourists like me) can take pictures of.



(2) They are not Central Park, but downtown L.A. has beautiful, charming parks where you can read a book, drink coffee while staring at a great fountain, or just enjoy the beautiful view of the skyline.

Grand Park
Vista Hermosa Park
(3) You can hike year-round in L.A. at the many, many trails you'll find in whatever area or direction you're headed. Although L.A. is known for its seemingly endless freeways that connects its different neighborhoods and sub-cities, its hiking trails also do just that and they have the most amazing views. (If you're not much for hiking, then there's yoga. You can do yoga outdoors in L.A. year-round, as well.)

View from Runyon Canyon
(4) You don't have to travel very far (you just have to bear the traffic) or spend a lot of money to experience another country.

Just go to the Getty Villa in Malibu and pretend you spent a day in Italy.
Drive to Solvang and you can say you just spent a day in Denmark.
And, the next one on my list is to visit Venice (in Venice, California). Check out this great post on the Venice Canals: Walk Europe in Southern California.

(5)  The ocean. I don't go to the beach often enough, I'm not really a fan of sand and all, but looking at the water does wonders to my soul.

View from Sara Wan Trail.

Of course, there are a great many other things about L.A. that makes it worth staying here. But, I've been sick the  last two days. My head is stuffy. My feet are cold. So, all that comes to mind is how grateful I am that even in my sick state, I can sit outside (albeit in fuzzy socks) and work in the balcony, because even though it's mid-October (and usually I'd wish for more fall-like weather), but the sun is out, the air is calm, and the breeze is just right. Now, that sounds like I'm bragging a little. But, people move to L.A. for its weather all the time (either that or Hollywood), so let's brag away.

3 comments :

  1. The grass is always greener I suppose. I've dreamed of going to LA for so long. I've never been but to me, it seems like an NYC just hotter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come visit L.A.! It's not like NYC, but it's not so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I love LA! And I've been talking about moving there for the past 3 or 4 years. I first visited in 2003 (from the DMV -- DC, Maryland, Virginia) and have been back a few times. But I haven't been to the west coast since 2006. Still LA has left a great impression because I still remember it and talk about it to this day. I like Venice Beach, too. Lots of interesting sights. :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...