Saturday, November 3, 2012

the sams and charlies



I finally watched it!
And I loved it.
I still love the book more, but since Stephen Chbosky
wrote the screenplay, directed, and also produced the film,
he stuck with the story.

Watching the movie made me think a lot about high school.
About growing up and trying to find yourself.

Many times I still think I'm trying to find myself.

Then, I think that's okay.
We evolve.  We change.
And sometimes, it's hard to keep up with ourselves.

Then, there's the parts of us that remain the same.
And that's okay, too.

The Sam part of me is still there.
Will probably be the part of me that remains
even though at times, it gets lost in the Charlie part of me.
Which will probably remain, too.
And that's okay.

***
"I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them

that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't
change the fact that they were upset.  And even if somebody else has it much
worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have."
"It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush.  If somebody likes me,
I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am.  And I don't
want them to carry it around inside.  I want them to show me, so I can feel it too."

"And I guess I realized at that moment that I really did love her.
Because there was nothing to gain, and that didn't matter."

"So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.  And maybe we'll never
know most of them.  But even if we don't have the power to choose where
we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.  We can still do things.
And we can try to feel okay about them."

"It's great that you can listen and be a shoulder to someone, but what about
when someone doesn't need a shoulder?  What if they need the arms or
something like that?  You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives
ahead of yours and think that counts as love.  You just can't.  You have to do things."

(Quotes from Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky)

***

I don't know why but right now as I write this and thinking about the book/movie, something my brother said at our YA Bible Study came to mind.  He was talking about relationships with people in church but I think it applies to all relationships.  He said that the benefits of loving relationships outweigh the hurt.  Those afraid to love because they are afraid of getting hurt misses out on a lot.  I think that's true.  I also believe that in our attempts to protect ourselves from getting hurt or our good intentions in protecting someone from getting hurt, the consequence is still hurt.  In protecting ourselves, we end up hurting ourselves.  In protecting the other person, we end up hurting him/her.  The thing is, it hurts because we love.  If we didn't love, it wouldn't hurt.  


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...