Thursday, October 3, 2013

Running soundtrack: song list

TIP OF THE DAY: If you want to post faster times, avert your gaze from the stopwatch and enjoy the sights. Runners who focus on their surroundings run more economically, according to researchers at the University of Munster in Germany
via

I think I've mentioned here before that I'm training for my first half-marathon.  It has been quite an experience, and one day, when I have more time (most likely after the race), I'll write about it.  But, let's just say that you know all those things you hear about running?  Well, they are true.  This has been an exhilarating journey, thus far.

And since music is a big part of my life and my need to have a soundtrack for every experience, situation or challenge in my life, I created a running soundtrack to get me through training.  It's an hour of songs that push and motivate me during the series of arguments that go on in my head.  They're in this order for a reason, too.  You'll see below.

Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas

I personally don't like the lyrics of this song, and I'm ignoring whatever meaning it has.
But I love the beat, and in the beginning of the run, I need that push.  The beat of this
song gives me that, and my brain ignores the other parts that I don't really care for, and
all I hear is Pump it ... Pump it ... Don't stop and keep it going ...
Do it, let's get it on, move it!

By the end of the song, I'm warmed up and pumped up to go for that long run.


Jump by Pointer Sisters

An oldie is always good.  And I love the beat of this song, too.  Since I'm warmed up, it just
makes me want to jump and dance during my run.  Of course, it has nothing to do with running
(as all of the songs), but again, it makes me feel good and just so happy to be running.
Jump, I know my heart can make you happy
Jump in ... Jump ... Jump


Bust a Move by Young MC

Another oldie, but this song always makes me want to keep dancing, moving.
Since I'm one of those runners that doesn't get their wind until after the first mile and a half,
the early minutes of my run needs a lot of encouraging.  The part of my brain that wants
to stop is much louder so this song reminds me to just bust a move ...

You're on a mission and your wishin'
Someone could cure your lonely condition
Looking for love in all the wrong places ...
Some frustration first inclination ...
But every dark tunnel has a light of hope...
...
You run over there without a second to lose
And what comes next hey bust a move


Let's Go Crazy by Prince

Because you can never have too much of Prince.  This song starts out slow, but it's the
early part of the run when I tell myself it's okay to slow down and pace myself, and then,
well, it's time to just go crazy.  


Teenage Dream by Katy Perry

This is where I confess that I love Katy Perry songs.  They are just upbeat and the lyrics
just pushes me to go beyond my comfort zone.

Let's run away and 
don't ever look back, 
don't ever look back.


Last Friday Night by Katy Perry

Okay, this song reminds me of an out-of-control frat/college party.  So, the lyrics don't really
do much for me.  But, I love the beat.  And turns my run into a dance party.


California Girls by Katy Perry

I know, more Katy Perry.  I'm just continuing on with my Katy Perry party at this point.
Having a good time in my run.  And hey, it doesn't hurt that running does do a body good: fit.


Firework by Katy Perry

Now, I do love the lyrics of this song, because sometimes, I just feel that way.
And running helps me get through those times.

Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?

Do you ever feel already buried deep six feet under?
Scream but no one seems to hear a thing
Do you know that there's still a chance for you
'Cause there's a spark in you?

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky...


Express Yourself by Madonna

This starts my Madonna series, but the ones on my song list are the covers done 
by the Glee cast (no surprise!).  Although, I do love Madonna, I just happen
to also have the Glee's Tribute to Madonna album.  So, this song?  Need I say more?
Madonna songs make me feel angry (in a good way).  Maybe that's not the way to 
put it, but they do remind me: You can do this.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Don't go for second best baby
Put your love to the test


Borderline by Madonna

This song starts slow, too, so it's the part of my run when I'm reminded to pace myself.
Again, absolutely nothing to do with running.  But this song reminds me of heartache.
It makes my heart hurt.  But, then, it pulls me up and tells me to get over it.  Just move on.
Keep going.  Don't let anyone take the best of you away.

Stop playing with my heart
Finish what you start


Open Your Heart by Madonna

I don't know why this song pushes me to run.  I think it's the energy of the song.
I'm leaning on pure emotion at this point.  I'm getting my energy from it.


Dress You Up by Madonna

I just like this song.  Picks up the beat and I'm done with all the emotional part.
I'm feeling empowered again and determined to keep on running.


Don't Stop Believing by Journey

Again, I have the Glee version on my song list.  This song just inspires me.
At this point, I'm about forty-five minutes (or more) into the run.  And I'm
reminded to just keep on going.

Working hard to get my fill
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin' anything to roll the dice just one more time

Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

...

Don't stop believin'


Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I've over cause you're gone


Roar by Katy Perry

Yes, I'm ending with a Katy Perry song.  But, nearing the hour of my run, I'm feeling great.

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything

You held me down, But I got up
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake your ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready 'cause I've had enough
I see it all, I see it now

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion ...


Now, that's my running soundtrack.  Do you have a running song list?


4 comments :

  1. I thought I was the only one who made playlists in a particular order. Most people I know just throw the tracks on and go exercise. I've got to have each flow into one another and each song correlate with every stage. Ha! I've been slowly getting into running, partly because I secretly want to be a runner and partly because I need to shed these extra law-school-runined-me pounds. I appreciate the 80s tune in there. I take pride in being born at the very end of the 80s - I was born in 1988 so I'm still technically an 80s baby! (and 80s tracks is the theme of my next Music Playlist post) I may just steal this playlist for my occasional runs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what's on your 80s playlist. I love 80s songs since I grew up with them. A good playlist is important to me. I love soundtracks (I used to collect them), so I've been making my own soundtrack for different chapters (or events) of my life.

      And I was never a runner before. I started running (inconsistently) after I graduated from law school. It's only been recently that it has become a part of my life and I can proudly say that I am now a runner. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm also training for my first half, and music is SO important to me when I'm out on the road! I don't particularly like running, so I definitely need some good jams to keep me going. :) You have some on here I hadn't thought of - thanks for posting this! A personal favorite of mine when I really need a push is "We Found Love" by Rihanna. That beat is just intoxicating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We Found Love" is a great song to run to. I may just add that to my running mix.

      When is the half marathon?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...