Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday smiles

It's been a long, long, long week.  And it'll be a long, long, long work-filled weekend.  But I came across this picture and it just made me smile.  Big smile


It's supposed to be a picture taken in Bern, Switzerland.
And when I saw this picture, and read where it was taken, it
brought me back to that little girl who was full of hopes and
dreams and passion and love and courage.

Once upon a time, I was supposed to go to Switzerland to dance.
Although the reason I didn't go was not my choosing, and in fact, I really
had no choice in the matter, it's still one of those things I regret.

But Jude went.  And I'm glad that at least he did.
At least he got to live that part of our dream for us.

I know that I'll go to Switzerland one day.
And although it most likely won't be to dance
in front of an auditorium filled with people,
I'll be thinking of dancing.

And I'll be thinking of Jude.
How once upon a time, we danced.
How once upon a time, I had a best friend
who loved me more than he loved the Beatles.
And how we spent summers drinking Kool-Aid, listening
to the radio waiting for the perfect moment to record
songs by Lionel Ritchie, Billy Ocean, and Stevie Wonder.
How he'd serenade me with Hello, I Just Called to Say I Love You,
and our favorite, Endless Love.

I've been thinking about Jude a lot lately.
Childhood best friends are ones that stay with you forever.
Because your love for each other is innocent, pure, and real,
with no agenda, expectations or obligations.
Just love.  For each other.
And each other's company.

Those are the best.
And now, I know, more than ever,
that when I get married,
I will be marrying my best friend.
You see, I can't marry anyone else,
unless he's my best friend.
For life.

And that made me smile.

Happy Friday!


Photo: timopfahl

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...