Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's about time!


I once dated a guy with a kid.  And as much as he didn't know how to introduce a woman he's dating to his five-year-old son, I didn't know how to introduce a man I was dating to my six-year-old nephew. You see, although I don't have a kid of my own, my nephew is the center of my world.  He's my BFF.  And many times, when I look at him, listen to his fabulous stories and his laughter, I think, this is why I don't have kids.  If I did, I may not be able to have these moments, just as they are, with him.  Just me and him

One day, months ago, I tried to broach the subject of me and babies with him.  We were taking a walk, and he was telling me yet another fantastic story.  I asked him, do you want cousins?  He stopped walking, and looked up at me.  What do you mean? he asked.  Well, I told him, if I have a kid, then that kid will be your cousin.  He didn't say a word.  Continued walking.  Then, after a few seconds of silence, he told me a joke.  That was my clue that he didn't want to talk about it.     

This summer, I signed him up for a basketball league.  And every Monday, he goes to work with me, so I can take him to practice in the afternoon.  We start our day off with breakfast time at my desk, while I write his schedule for the day.  He likes to follow that schedule to a tee, thus, reading time does not start until exactly 9:30, and computer time does not start until exactly 10:30.  The best moments of my Mondays are when we just sit there at my desk, have breakfast, lunch and just talk.  I love hearing his stories.  He has the funniest, most amazing stories.

A couple of weeks ago, my cousin and her new baby daughter was at my mom's house.  As I was adoring the beautiful tiny baby, my niece asked her brother how he would feel if I had a baby.  My nephew thought for a moment, then he said, I'd be okay with it.  That'll be fine.  In fact, it's about time.  She's *** years old already!"  (He added a couple of years to my age!)  Then, after stating his approval, he stompered off, leaving everyone shocked at first, before bursting out in laughter.        

I didn't know what to say. 

He's still the center of my world.  And so, have to sign off and watch his basketball game this morning.  I promised myself that I was going to take advantage of every moment that I have with him.  Every moment that I have with him being the number one kid in my life.

I believe that being an aunt is one of the most wonderful jobs in the world.  (The closest thing to actually being a mom.)  Right now, it's my most favorite role.  :) 


Photo: Mamma Mia

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...