Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My 100 Aker Wood | Republic of Pie


This is my favorite cafe in the neighborhood. When I walk in, I'm automatically greeted with this creative energy that just sweeps me away to another world. In fact, this place reminds me of Winnie-the-Pooh's treehouse or what I always pictured Pooh's treehouse to look like. I guess, you can say, it's my 100 Aker Wood. The place I go to when I want to escape within the realm of my own imagination. When I just run away with my characters on their adventures.  

After I order my drink, I usually make my way to the back, where there's a tree with a bar table encircled around it. There I sit in the corner, underneath the tree branches adorned with white and blue lights, and I write. On the other side of the room, in front of a large bookcase, a group of writers with their laptops are seated on the floor around a coffee table, typing away, while a few readers occupy the shabby chic-style sofa. These readers' faces usually remain unseen behind their books. Even on a weekday morning, the wooden tables and chairs spread throughout the place are occupied by patrons engaged in energetic and colorful conversations. We're in a world of our own in there. 


Yesterday, while I sat in the usual corner, writing in my journal, the song "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" came on. And I thought, how can I not love this place? It brings all my favorite worlds together. I smiled at the photograph of a young Sinatra hanging on the wall. Definitely, all my favorites.   


This perfect leaf remained exactly the same to the bottom of the cup.


I know this place sounds cool, huh? But an important question remains unanswered? How is the coffee? And the pies? How are the pies? Well, this place is called the Republic of Pie. That means there is a heavenly variety of pies, served in extra large portions. My favorite is the Chocolate Banana Cream pie because I love chocolate and banana. Together they are sublime. And the coffee? Well, I only drink decaf. But, as decafs go, the cafe mocha always gives me more reason to smile about. Like I said, this place brings all my favorites together. And thus, I return. Again and again.


Magnolia and Lankershim
NoHo Arts District

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...