Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The morning ride

I rode the subway to downtown today. The station is a mile from my place, but I've never taken it to downtown by myself. In fact, the only three times I can remember riding the subway from the North Hollywood train station to downtown was to go to a Lakers game, a "500 Days of Summer" downtown tour, and when I ran the Rock 'N Roll half-marathon.

But it's not that I never go to downtown. I'm there at least once a week for work, which means once a week I brace myself for the crawling traffic and hour-plus drive on the 101 to travel just 14 miles. For those of you who commute to work, you must understand the frustration that comes with sitting in traffic, feeling confined and completely useless inside a metal contraption.

Today I wanted to do something different. It was time I stepped out of my comfort zone. Honestly, I was tired of complaining about traffic and about how L.A. has a crappy public transportation system. Who was I to rant and criticize when there was a metro station a mile away and I never used it? I decided to change that this morning.

The walk to the metro station alone was liberating. I immediately felt connected to the city. The morning air was still slightly cool, but it felt fresh and welcoming. As cars passed by I couldn't help but smile because I was free to roam and wander. My eyes weren't stuck looking at the short distance ahead of me.

While walking I saw buildings and shops I never noticed before. I was able to see and appreciate the little things around me. There's a park between my apartment and the metro station. As I walked through it this morning, I saw a squirrel drinking from a water fountain. It was such a delightful sight that I couldn't help but let out a small laugh. A smile just wasn't enough. I wanted to take out my camera to take a picture but for some reason, I didn't want to disturb it. Finally, the squirrel sensed my presence and turned to look at me. For a moment, we just stared at each other until it jumped off the water fountain and ran up a tree. But that short moment made my day.

And riding the subway made me love home again. This place is beautiful if I really take the time to see it.







It was obvious that I was a newbie or amateur metro traveler because it took me about five tries before I figured out how to pay for the fare. I didn't even know how much the fare was and had to ask someone. Since the decision to take the subway was spontaneous, I didn't have time to plan and check the important details. But, I made it in time. Although the subway cars were full by the time I got in, and I had to stand for most of the 28-minute ride from North Hollywood to the Civic Center stop, it was fine. I was happy.

The wide-eyed look and smile on my face must have also been a dead giveaway that I was there for an adventure. Most of the commuters looked serious, like they were just determined to get to their destination. No one was reading the newspaper or a book. Except for two ladies near me, no one really spoke or acknowledged each other in the car I was in.  People didn't smile at each other. Is it an L.A. thing? We don't smile at strangers? That made me a little sad. There were a lot of anxious looks. People ready to jump out the moment the train made its stop. 

It felt good not having to be that person today. Most of the time I'm rushing to be somewhere or to do something that I don't acknowledge or notice the people around me. So I understand the anxious looks. My comments stem more from empathy than anything. 

I'm also glad that I got to observe, absorb and experience the subway ride. It's definitely a ride I'll take again and again. 



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...