Monday, December 16, 2013

Catching up


The year is quickly winding down, and I've been thinking a lot about my writing plans for the new year. I've been writing a lot more these days. I know I haven't been writing here, but trust me, I've been writing. On that note, I guess I should think about whether I'll continue with this blog since my presence here has become less and less, but honestly, I'm not quite ready to give up this space just yet. I like having it around, to go back to, and write at times like this - when I've had a long, long day and I just want to unwind. Check in with all of you because I've truly missed you!

So, this will be a catch-up kind of post. Full of random tidbits. Mostly a lot about what this year has meant to me because that's what has been occupying my mind lately. When I reflect back on a year, I like to think about themes. This year has been about tidying up, tying up loose ends, and closure. It has also been about finding my voice, and about finally knowing who I am and what I want. You see, I've known for a long time what it is I didn't want - in terms of my career, my personal life - but somehow, knowing what it was or is I did want took much longer to realize. I think it's because I had this idea of who I thought I should be, and that person wasn't always in line with who I am. When I finally let go of the idea, well, acceptance soon followed.

Now, as far as some of the things I learned this year ... I learned that:

What a person says about your relationships say a lot more about them than you.

I can push myself out of my comfort zone, if I really put my mind to it.

Training for a marathon is a lifestyle changer.

As much as I sometimes wish I was more fashionable, I'm quite
happy being basic. I just can't give up a comfortable pair of jeans and T-shirt.

Sometimes history is not enough to sustain a friendship.

Your gut instinct is almost, always, right. With that said, if something just
doesn't sit well in your stomach or gives you that "hmmm-question-mark" feeling, 
well, something is most likely wrong.

You'll know within five minutes of meeting someone whether you'll
want to see that person again.

Wasted talent is one without practice.

Peter Cetera got it right that "everybody needs a little time away ...
from each other/ even lovers need a holiday ..."

But real friendship, real love, can never be broken. 
Even when there's absence, a lapse of time. 
It can never be broken.

4 comments :

  1. Don't give up your little piece of internet! We'd miss you here too dearly. Less you is quite significantly better than no you at all :)

    I too have had to learn recently than sometimes history is not enough to sustain a friendship. In fact, I've witnessed being the "better, yet newer friend" and watching someone value the "older yet not so good" friend more simply because of history. It sucks.

    & I find it so strange that with friendship we almost subconsciously abide by the "5 minutes to know" rule, basically writing someone off as a friend within a minute of meeting them, yet we don't do the same with relationships. It's always baffled me how we are much more willing to "work on" one but not the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kari. Readers like you make it difficult to leave this space. I'll be around for quite awhile. Hope all is well with you. I've been enjoying your posts. Especially the New York city Love Affair series. Since I can't be there, I'll live vicariously through you. Have a beautiful holiday season. xo - Mae

      Delete
  2. Great lessons! Thanks for sharing. And even if you stop blogging for a little bit, I don't think it's a bad idea to hold on to the space just in case. It's always nice to see your blog pop up in my reader every now and then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Megan! I love seeing blog posts from you, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...