Monday, August 12, 2013

writing through frustration


Thought I'd share this short video because well, I saw it today and it made me feel better.  It made me feel less alone and freakish as I go through the challenges and frustrations in writing this novel.  The goal, of course, is to tell the story and in the process, hopefully become a better writer.  But, achieving that goal can be darn difficult.

Writing is not always easy.  In fact, I don't think it's ever really easy, which makes me wonder why I love it so much.  Sometimes, I think I'm just a glutton for punishment.  But, then, last night, as I was working on the umpteenth draft of the same scene, I had this feeling come over me - a giddy happy feeling that there was nothing else I would rather do at that moment but be frustrated with what I was doing.  In that case, flailing my arms around while I acted out the scene of my story.  (I gave up writing in coffee shops because I usually speak while I write.  I need to hear the words spoken aloud from the page, and in doing that, I end up acting out the scene.  I'd be mistaken as a crazy woman if anyone witnessed my writing system, so I prefer to do it in the privacy of my own home.)  Anyhow, I couldn't be such a glutton for punishment if what I'm doing makes me happy, right?

I ended up changing the same scene again tonight.  I know, I told myself I wouldn't do that because otherwise, I'll be working on the same scene for another six years!  But, I am pretty happy with the new changes, so I promise to move on tomorrow.

And the goal is to finish a draft of the novel this year.  No more excuses, I told myself.  I know I've been saying this for the last couple of years, and I'm just tired of repeating myself.  So, I'm going to use this blog to document my journey through this novel writing.  Keep me accountable.  Tomorrow, I'm going to write about juggling a career (with my own business) and trying to fulfill another dream (writing my novel).  With both, time is my best friend and worst enemy.  But, working with time is the only way to do both.  It's a process that is constantly changing, so, I have found that it's important to be flexible and forgiving.  Check back with you tomorrow.  I have some Glee-watching before going to bed!
 
(Here's a free writing tip: If all else fails, sing!)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...