Saturday, January 17, 2015

How to Fit a Workout In Your Already Busy Day

Hike Malibu trails. (View from Los Liones trail)

If you're anything like me, you have every intention of waking up at 5:00 a.m. every morning, hike for an hour, and be on your way to the office by 7:00 a.m. But on most days, about 95% of the time, your intentions fail. Especially since it has been cold and dark in the morning, you have good reason to stay cuddled and warm in bed so when the alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m. (the only hour you can fit in a workout), you don't even hear it.

Lately, that has been my typical morning. And finally I had to accept that working out or going for a hike early in the morning during the week just didn't work for me (no pun intended). In fact, working out for an hour every day wasn't working for me. At least, not right now, when it's much cooler in the morning and my free time is limited juggling two jobs (I say two because having your own practice really is like having two jobs, one where you represent clients and get paid, the other where you manage the office and don't get paid, but oh-so-necessary all the same). Then, not to mention there's the novel I'm trying to finish, so my plate really is full.

But, despite the limited time, I knew that I still needed to make an intentional effort to include movement into my schedule.  Especially since I spend most of my day sitting in front of the computer, which studies have found are really, really bad due to the effects it can have on both our physical and mental health, I had to find a way to keep my body moving throughout the day. I realized that although I may not have a continuous hour to dedicate to a workout every day, it didn't mean I couldn't work out at all. So, here are some ways I fit a workout into my day:

1. Squats while brushing my teeth: I have found that this is where multitasking can have positive results. So, instead of just standing in front of the sink while brushing my teeth, I do squats. Afterwards, not only am I taking care of my teeth but I get to tone my thighs and glutes at the same time. Win, win!

2. Stairs instead of the elevator. My office is on the seventh floor, so as much as possible, I try to take the stairs instead of using the elevator. Although it's difficult for me to do so when I arrive in the morning because I'm usually carrying a heavy load of case files, I take a break during the day to do so. I set an alarm to remind myself to walk down the stairs to the lobby and walk right back up. It's not only good for my heart, but for my mind, too, as it forces me to step away from the computer and take a mental break.

3. The long way trip to the restroom.  Again, since my job requires me to sit in front of the computer for most of the day, I take advantage of any excuse to get up and move my body.  A trip to the restroom is a good way to increase the number of steps you take during the day. Sometimes, I go to the furthest restroom on our floor or sometimes, I even walk up or down one floor to another restroom. Remember that any movement, even for short period of time, can have a profound impact on your health.

4. Read and pace. When I have to review or read an actual document that I can hold in my hands, I get up from my chair and read while standing or pacing around the office.  Again, it's a good way to keep my body moving while working at the same time.

5.  10-minute (standing abs) break.  Youtube is a great resource of workout videos ranging from five minutes to over an hour. Lately, I've been obsessed with this ten-minute standing ab workout video (check it out here).  My favorite part is that it's only ten minutes, you do it while standing up, and you can practically do it at any time.  You can do it in the morning before leaving for the office or when you get home at night or even in the middle of the day. Ten minutes is not a long time.  If we're honest with ourselves, we probably spend more than ten minutes a day browsing through Facebook.  (In fact, in 2013, it was reported that the total daily average mobile time spent on Facebook is half an hour. And that's just the average for those using their smartphone to check on Facebook, not including the time spent in front of an actual computer checking Facebook.)  So, why not challenge yourself? Replace one of your Facebook-checking breaks with an abs workout. By summer, you might need to buy yourself some new pants or at least a belt or even pull out that bikini you threw in the back of the closet.

6. Stretch, stretch, stretch.  This you can do at anytime and anywhere.  I stretch in bed the moment I wake up, stretch when I step out of the car, and if you happen to walk by my office, I'm sure you'll catch me with my arms stretched out towards the ceiling while sitting in my chair reviewing documents or conducting research on the computer.  Although I'm by no means an expert, I've heard that stretching not only increases the circulation in our bodies but (and this I can attest to), I have found it helps me relax and alleviates any pressure I may feel in my lower back after sitting for a long period of time.  


Now, how do you fit a workout in your busy day? I'm always looking for other ideas and would love to hear from you.


2 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...