Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"you made a difference"

Day 6 of Blogtember: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.



My life has taken several turns, most of which I don't really want to write about because they are quite heavy and deep, and I wanted to stray from some serious stuff for awhile.  So, I decided to skip this prompt and just move on to some light matters like online shopping (tomorrow's prompt).  Then, during my run earlier at my old high school tracks, I was reminded of a distinct moment in high school that turned my life around for the better.  Although it includes some serious and slightly heavy content, I decided that it's something worth sharing, not for me, but the man who changed my life and to this day, I thank every time I'm reminded of how my life could have been.

The moment was during my junior year of high school.  Up until then, I spent a lot of time trying to be the "bad kid."  The rebel.  The poor, mediocre student.  There were a lot of things going on in my young life, and I was not very happy.  I took it out on random people around me, but most of all, I took it out on myself.

Then, one day, after missing several classes in a row, my counselor said to me: "Your education will be your freedom from this life."  By "this life" he was talking about the things in my life that made me feel trapped and miserable.  He told me that my education will be my key to living the kind of life I wanted, and that with it, I would never have to depend on anyone or anything.  Mr. Higgins words' struck me, and thereafter, I worked extra hard to get my grades up.  I joined clubs at school and even started one of my own.  I did everything I could to make sure I graduated from high school with good enough grades and a number of extracurricular activities to get into college.

I never forgot Mr. Higgins' words.  I carried them with me throughout college, especially during times when I thought it would be easier to just fail or drop out.  His words stayed with me during the dismal days of law school.  But, I believe his words did more than just encourage me to graduate from high school, and pursue higher learning.  His words became my guiding light whenever I was tempted to go astray.

I haven't seen or spoken to Mr. Higgins since my high school graduation.  And although I gave him a card then with a long letter thanking him for everything he had done for me - for all the lunches he missed listening to me whine and cry in his office - I still wish I could let him know now that he really made a difference in my life.  I think sometimes teachers and counselors are not appreciated enough.  There are really amazing ones out there, and they do make a difference in their students' lives.  That's why I love Glee.  I know, I'm back there again with that show, but I do love it because it's not only a show about the students but also about the teachers and counselors who touch the students' lives.  It shows how we're a cause and effect on each other.  Teachers and students learning from one another.

Anyhow, I know I've said this before, but I will say it again and again: I was blessed with really amazing teachers and counselors.  Mr. Higgins was one of them.  I want to thank him wherever he is, and say: you made a difference.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...