Monday, September 23, 2013

Life Lately

Day 15 of Blogtember: Life lately.



Life has been really busy.  But, I guess, that's nothing new.  I'm starting to remind myself of my former boss/mentor.  When I was working for him, every time I called or knocked on his door to ask a question, I'd first ask whether he was busy.  I remember that his customary response was "always."  Now, that's me.  When people asks me how I'm doing or what I'm up to, my response is always "busy."

But, I do hope that I'm also like my mentor in that even though his response was that he was busy, he never turned me away or asked that I call back.  He was busy, but he always made time to answer any questions or concerns I had, sometimes turning what was supposed to be a simple yes or no answer to a half hour conversation.  His advice to me when I first became a lawyer was to always make time for two things: family and vacation.

It's sometimes difficult to do but, I try to make time for the important events.  I try never to miss birthdays or family gatherings and church.  This past weekend my family went to Lake Arrowhead to celebrate my brother and sister-in-law's 10-year wedding anniversary.  It was a lot of fun, and hanging out with my family always reminds me of how blessed I am to have them around and near.  No family is perfect, and we definitely have our ups and downs, but overall, we're there for each other and always happy to celebrate each other's successes and good tidings.

And, let's see, another thing that's taking up a lot of my time because I don't think I'm busy enough - training for my first half marathon.  It's next month, and I'm really excited.  But, training does take a lot of time, planning, and dedication.  Training is teaching me a lot about patience - even though I've been running for awhile now, I couldn't expect myself to be a fast marathon runner over night.  Not even in a week, or two, or three.  But, with consistent training and determination, I've improved not only on time but I'm building up my stamina one mile at a time.  Again, it's really exciting!  Doing something that you couldn't imagine yourself being able to do feels amazing.  

But, training for a marathon (even a half one) can start taking a toll on your body.  And for someone who doesn't get enough sleep (me), it can be an even bigger toll.  So, I'm forcing myself to go to bed earlier.  I realized that today when I was really short with my client.  I realized that I was just exhausted (even after my weekend off), and it's not only because I have a tendency to overextend myself sometimes - lately with work and training - but I don't allow myself to rest.  By rest I mean sleep.  (Which I hardly got any this past weekend because we stayed up late both nights binging on horror movies - so worth it though.)  However, I paid for it today, dragging my feet and not really performing well on my run.  So, I promised myself that from now on, I need to really make time for sleep.  And with that said, I need to end this post, and go to bed.

Have a good night!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...