Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A tribute

It's Day 1 of Blogtember, and today's topic is to describe where or what you come from - the people, places and factors that make you who you are.


I didn't think this would be such a difficult topic to write about since I'm always writing about myself, right?  This blog is pretty much an encyclopedia of where or what I come from.  And I've been documenting my life for a long while.  See those journals above?  That's not even half of what I've written about me, me, me.

Now, I feel really self-centered.  I should really think of other things to write about.  But, I guess, since I'm participating in this challenge, that will have to wait.  For now, I have to stay with the topic at hand, which again, I found quite difficult to answer because well, I didn't know where to start.  There are so many people and places and factors that have made me who I am.      

I'm a believer that we're consistently becoming.  Evolving to the person we are meant to be.  I believe that I'm a culmination of the people who have touched my life, the places I have been to, and the experiences and lessons I've learned from all of them.  So, I think the best way to describe where or what I come from is to pay tribute to some of the significant people in my life:

Foremost, I thank God for blessing me with some pretty amazing people.  For parents who sacrificed their own comforts when they immigrated to the U.S. with very little, but with much hopes and dreams.  Parents who were young and imperfect, but loved my brothers and I more than my young, rebellious teenage self ever realized.  For grandparents who were like second parents to me, and always gave me comfort and guidance whenever I needed them.  For teachers and counselors who went over and beyond and out of their way to make sure I never strayed too far from the line.  For childhood friends who taught me the meaning of enduring and everlasting.  For my brothers and sister - for being the constants in my life and being the best parts of me.  For my nieces and nephew, who have taught me the meaning of unconditional love and true joy.  

I haven't lived in too many different places, but have traveled quite a lot.  Ten years ago, I traveled around western Europe for a month, and one day, I'd love to write about how that changed me.  It was the start of a major shift in my life.

I've also loved hard and had my heart broken quite a few times.  I think I write about them quite often, so I won't dwell too much on them here except to say that as painful as broken hearts can be, I'm grateful for them because I think they've helped me become a better person.

So, that's my short tribute.  I could really go on and on, which makes me feel even more blessed and grateful for this life.  Because although it can sometimes be tough, painful, sad and filled with trials, there is always something to be grateful for.  Sometimes, all it takes is a moment to sit still and recognize the good.  There's always good to be found even if they're not always that way or didn't start out that way.  There's always good.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...