Wednesday, June 26, 2013

full moon hike

Last Friday, I went with a hiking group for a full moon hike at Griffith Park.  It was a great way to end a tough week.  I had never been on a night hike before, and it was amazing.  The city lights looked beautiful.  And being high above the city, with the feel of the cool breeze on my face, all my worries seemed so far away.  Almost non-existent.  I can't wait to go on another night hike again.

Although honestly, I don't think I'd do it without a big group because it was a little scary walking down the hillside in the dark.  (I wouldn't go with just a few people either.)  Even though the moon was bright (and I sometimes cheated by turning on my mini flashlight), it was still difficult to see what I was stepping on or what was making noises in the bushes around me.  When we reached the bottom, noises became more distinct.  There were coyotes howling not too far from us.  For a few minutes, about ten of us gathered in a circle and contemplated whether we should make a run for it or walk slowly to our cars.  The howling eventually stopped, and we quickened our pace to the lit parking lot.  Needless to say, it was quite an adventure!








Sometimes, I really do love this city.

2 comments :

  1. I would definitely have made a run for it if I had heard them! You were braver than me xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely be too much of a scaredy cat to hike alone at night, but I guess if I had a group to go with, I would. Plus, there would be other people to distract the coyotes while I hightailed it out of there! :)
    That last photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...