Thursday, June 28, 2012

thursday's tune.



Working on writs have this weird effect on me - gets me excited and just a little nutty, sometimes.  I love legal research.  If that's not nutty enough.  I had an assistant tell me that watching me work on writs or motions is like watching a scientist at work, but instead of having tubes and burners, I have the computer screen and keyboard.  And if my hands are not on the keyboard, they are speaking in some kind of sign language that only I probably understand.

I get into this zone when I write.  Whether they be stories or legal pleadings.  And I speak when I write.  And yes, I do speak with my hands, too.  But something about the legal analysis that goes into a writ, the procedural arguments that always includes research into legislative histories, gives me some kind of high (and I mean that in a very legal [non-criminal] sense).  I love discovering distinctions between cases, especially when the law (case law) is against us.

But, staying in the zone for a long time can be a little harmful to my brain (and maybe to my well-being).  It's like being sucked into the Black Hole.  So, I make sure to pull myself out of there, just to allow my brain to breathe a little.  Life is not in the black print of codes, statutes, and regulations.  It's definitely not in the oftentimes horrific facts that make up these cases.  So, I need my outs.

Music gives me my outs.

And U2.  Absolutely.

I went to this concert.  By far, the best concert I've ever been to.

My friend and I bought the tickets last minute, and paid a lot of money.  But, it was worth it.  We were smiling the whole night.  And the next day, I was still smiling.  Makes me smile right now thinking about it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...